Monday, April 30, 2012

World Cruise - Day 9 - Jan 21 - Quepos, Costa Rica - Part 1

Today we spent the day walking through the rainforests of Costa Rica, viewing the flora, fauna and wildlife.  So today’s blog entry will be more of a photographic journey.  Here are the first pics of the day:
It’s pretty difficult to narrow down this posting, since I took well over 200 pics today.  Everywhere you look, there is another pic waiting to be taken.  The above is a bird-of-paradise-type plant (but it’s not, I just don’t know what it is).
This was a termite nest along the way on our path.
These are seed pods growing in the tree, looks like papaya, but it’s not.
I forget the name of these pods, but we had a drink at lunch made from this, very refreshing.
We saw several toucans along the way, first time I had ever seen one in the wild.
Also several monkeys, including one that had to go to the bathroom as we were walking underneath.  We managed to avoid it.
This is a zoomed in photo on a different toucan, you can see the brilliant colors on the front of it.
This lizard is known as a Jesus Christ Lizard in Costa Rica, because it can walk on water.
We saw lots of racoons, especially when we got near the beach.
Krissie and some friends went in to cool off.  It was about 85 degrees today and very humid.
This was the cove where Krissie and others went in for a dip.
I went hiking over the hill to the next cove.
This is looking back on the beach where Krissie and others were located.
I kept hiking further and around every turn had some wonderful views.
ROUS?  I heard this guy scampering away, was only able to get this photo as he disappeared into the brush.  He was the size of a medium-sized dog.
View back toward our beach.
View looking in the direction of Puerto Quepsos.
I had to take my own pic, since no one else went with me on this trail (it was closed, I went around the barrier).

4 comments:

  1. Do you happen to know why park officials had closed off that trail? I like the photo ('looking back at the beach where others were').

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Brian ignores the "closed" signs. I believe most of us would not have done that, especially in a foreign country. That's my brother for you!
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, our brother will go around barriers.
    The strange animal you wondered if it was a "rous", I looked them up, and they look like a guinea pig in the head, and VERY tiny ears. Your critter has larger ears, but looks very similar. Neat animal, whatever it is.
    And, from memory, the "Jesus Christ Lizard" RUNS across the water, but maybe only for a short distances, I believe. Did you get to see one do it? That would have been neat to see in person.
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  4. RE your new Canon camera, on the dial for settings, you have (1) review (2) camera (3) M (4) SCN and (5) video... right?

    Use #2 for outdoors, set #3 for BW and set #4 for indoors...

    Then you can use #4 and with the right side of the circle dial...
    press the "lightening bolt" to take the flash from AUTO, to ON, to OFF (good for natural light pictures where a flash takes a worse picture).

    Play with these directions... and you will find you have a LOT easier time taking fast pictures with the flash on or off!

    Susie

    ReplyDelete